February 9, 2009

Dinner tonight

OK. Don't really have pictures of this, but I wanted to share:

This is part of the Mark Bittman does Italy article from Men's Health - Bryan first told me about this article and then brought the magazine over which led to a pretty bitter hostage exchange over the holidays - But I make and freeze various variations of the soup for lunches and make the chicken when I need something easy, light tasting and comforting.

Braised Chicken - per Mark Bittman
Chicken parts - I like to use thighs since they are cheap and braise well and are extremely plentiful. But if you're a white meat person that works as well.

1 cup white wine

a few cloves of garlic, smashed and chopped fine

tablespoon of rosemary

a lemon

Personally I skin the chicken parts and let them sit in the pot for a while until all the fat comes out. Then I skim and save the fat save for a couple of tablespoons to fry the chicken in. Otherwise use olive oil.

Brown the chicken parts. Be patient.

Remove the browned chicken parts and set aside. Fry up the garlic and rosemary in the remaining fat, then deglaze the pan with the white wine. (see below. I also deglaze myself) I also like to add lemon and the zest at this stage.

Return the chicken parts to the pan, turn in the juices, cover and turn to low. Leave for 20-30 minutes to whenever you feel like coming back to dinner. if you let it sit for long enough it will fall off the bone. Serve with the braising liquid and whatever vegetables and starches you like.

Seriously, I love braising things. takes very little effort, is pretty much still magic to me and lets me do the dishes or watch The Wire while I wait for dinner to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment