August 14, 2009

A new ...leaf?

A friend commented that we should post our more vegetarian friendly recipes - it's true. Our more grand food schemes tend to involve meat. And I tend to lean on cheeses a LOT.

Challenge for today was a vegany dish with not very much prep time and well. Not much in the fridge. BUT, I did have a CSA box that came with a bunch of nummies including a few organic lemons and a bunch of parsley. Also, it's Houston and it's flipping hot.

Took half an onion and a few carrots and cooked them on high until they were all nice and brown. While those did their dansen I boiled a couple of cups of israeli couscous.

Here's the trick. after draining the hot couscous, add one pressed/minced/beaten to death clove of garlic while still hot. dump the hot carrots and onions in there too. That'll take the edge off the garlic.

Added a couple of glugs of olive oil and the juice and zest of a lemon, a little salt and pepper and a generous chopped handful of parsley.



It's tasty and tangy and if you have good parsley, green. Really good cold too. I wish I had time to soak beans because chickpeas would go really well with this too in order to make it a more complete dish.

And you know what. After a few bites, I remembered I had some chevre from The Blue Heron Farm and added a chunk to the salad. I am a failure at the veganism, but man. Those happy pampered goats and their mom make some incredible cheese.

1 comment:

  1. The first time I tried to make israeli couscous, I had no idea how to cook it. I had bought it at Whole Foods in an unmarked tub, and had no idea of what it was called, so I wasn't able to search for instructions online. Searches for "extra big couscous" and similar terms turned up nothing.

    In the end I tried a modified form of the way you cook regular couscous, except I let it boil for a minute before taking it off the heat like its tiny cousin.

    I ended up with a strange gummy substance that resembled white frog eggs. Needless to say, it was not a success. The "extra-big couscous" was never approaced again.

    This, however, looks so tasty that I'm willing to try again!

    ReplyDelete